Updated and Expanded for 990EZ, UBIT, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, and so much more!
Buy the paperback and get the e-Book for only $3.95 more.
Overworked or volunteer administrators may not be equipped with the most up-to-date accounting knowledge that affects their church's ability to accept donations, oversee a benevolence fund, file church payroll, and offer a compensation package for their minister. Lisa London, the accountant who brought you QuickBooks for Churches & Nonprofits, understands and wrote this must-have reference to take the hassle out of church bookkeeping.
In this book, London delves into the specialized needs of church accounting for church administrators and volunteers, including:
- Essential steps for starting a church
- Easy to learn internal controls to prevent fraud or error
- How to select church accounting software
- Recording and acknowledging church contributions, including vehicle donations and love offerings
- Benevolence fund management for your congregation's best interest
- Calculating and filing employee payroll
- Bill paying across programs and the impact of Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 on Accountable Reimbursements Plans.
- How to design and implement a compensation package for your minister, including a housing allowance, pastor payroll, and compensation package
- Understanding the accounting and the important financial reports
- Giving your members all the information they need
- Preparation for an annual audit
- Budgets and forecasting future church growth
- Unrelated Business Income Taxes (UBIT) and how to complete a 990EZ.
We understand that the church staff needs to support its ministry with strong controls on the assets and a handle on the finance function. Our goal is to make the accounting transactions easier with simple instructions, straightforward training and resources, so you can spend less time on the church accounting and more on your ministry.
Vickey Boatright, the accountant behind www.freechurchaccounting.com, joins London in helping you set up accounting spreadsheets, explaining different types of accounting packages, and guiding you through every imaginable aspect of church bookkeeping. Terressa Pierce of freechurchforms.com brings her 30+ years of expertise as she advises you on how to rearrange your church office. Together, this powerful trio will help you master the nuts and bolts of church accounting with ease.
Lisa London is a CPA and top-selling author with decades of experience who has helped organizations reduce their accounting time dramatically. The Accountant Beside You series has been sold in all 50 states and every inhabitable continent. In addition to her detailed e- and print books, Lisa London offers supplemental and often free information online at www.accountantbesideyou.com and through her popular YouTube videos and webinars. If you are already using QuickBooks for your church, consider investing in QuickBooks for Nonprofits & Churches or save money by purchasing a church accounting bundle.
Whether you're just starting your church accounting journey or if you've been with the same spiritual home for years, The Accountant Beside You will be there every step of the way!
Contents & Features1. HOW and the IRS-Administrative Issues 1
2. Proper Procedures and Internal Accounting Controls 13
3. What is Special About Church Accounting? 27
4. How do I Select a Church Accounting System? 39
5. Contributions—Part I: Receiving and Recording 44
6. Contributions—Part II: Acknowledging 55
7. Contributions—Part 3: Other Topics 71
8. Benevolence Policy 78
9. Paying the Bills 84
10. Reimbursement Policies and Procedures 93
11. Payroll—Part I: Basic Steps 103
12. Payroll—Part II: Calculating & Filing 114
13. Payroll—Part III: Ministers and the IRS 134
14. Budgeting for Religious Organizations 155
15. Month-End Financial Requirements 162
16. Year-end and Audit Issues 172
17. Unrelated Business Income Taxes (UBIT) 182
18. Form 990 Annual Filings for Exempt Organizations 199
Title Church Accounting: The How-To Guide for Small & Growing Churches
Author Lisa London, CPA and Vickey Boatright
ISNI 0000 0004 5059 7909
Library of Congress Number 2020920379
Published November 2020 by Deep River Press, Inc.
Copyright 2020 Deep River Press, Inc.
Setting up an account is not required but recommended to make it easier to track your shipments and download any digital files.
E-Books and any digital files are available immediately. You will be taken to a link to download the Kindle or PDF version directly to your computer.
Paperbacks are usually shipped within a day via USPS. There is a flat rate of $3.95 for books sent in the continental US via media mail. Priority mail 2-3 day service is usually available for $8.95. For shipping costs outside the continental US, go through the checkout process, and the fees will be calculated for you.